Thursday, May 13, 2010

post #3 before and after lunch -- it's only thursday!

be sure to read posts number 1 and 2 below before you start with this; i don't want to confuse anyone, but this was a really busy day; lots of walking, and so it was just easior to do my posts in sections, and i started with the end, first; the first part second, and the middle part third.
don't try to figure it out; just enjoy; i am!

so, these are pictures of buildings as we are heading away from christ college. this big quad had hopes of having a covering, but it never got completed. and the residence below is student housing; these styles of housing remind me of my siminary days in evanston, il.

when the monistaries were discontinued under king henry the 8th (and you may remember his struggle with the catholic church), the libraries were gifted to some of the colleges of oxford. and as people retired, they also gifted their collection of books to the different colleges. all the students have library opportunities.


most of the colleges have gates, that are used even today to lock folks in and out. be on time, or else, you are at the mercy of the elements.

the oxford divinity school is in the building below.










remember when i said that some catholics and protestants were troubled? well, the stone cross below lies in the street as a marker to those who were burned for their faith. there are many markers depicting many things in england.
we, the faithful, do not always treat our sisters and brothers with respect and dignity. we are called to be an example. and time is ticking...a reminder by the many bells that chime throughout the day. a wonderful reminder that "god is here".




i saw this rather regal building, so i've included it here. and it strikes me how england adapts their history with the modern; notice the bikes in front?









i complete this post tonight (or rather this morning) with this marker of where john wesley slept at lincoln college. he was pretty radical, and the authorities did not always appreciate him, but there was no mistaking the fact that a new movement had started in england. and the wesley's were there! it just seems funny to put a marker where someone lived; please don't put a marking noting where i ate, ok? there would be markers all over, and i just don't want that much attention.
blessings to you day; we leave for epworth after morning prayer and breakfast.
one last thought about today. it is assention day, when jesus the risen christ has done all he can to get us prepared to carry on the ministry and mission of god, and to care for all of creation, including the poor. john records in his journal, "i found my brother at oxford, recovering from his pleurisy...immediately it struck into my mind, 'leave off preaching. how can you preach to others, who have not faith yourself?' peter bohler reponded to wesley: preach faith till you have it, and then, because you have it, you will preach faith!
in other words, practice until jesus who is our guide in this world, comes out of us. john prays: i give thee my body, my soul, my substance, my fame, my friends, my liberty, my life; claim me as thy right. fight for me when i am assaulted, heal me when i am wounded, and revive me when i am destroyed.
and let the people say, amen! blessings to your day, and your night. pj

No comments:

Post a Comment