Tuesday, June 28, 2011

returning from vacation . . . what to do first

i've always thought that there should be some formula that one attaches to the computer screen that gives retiring vacationers a 'step by step' plan for what to do when returning to the office. i didn't get the memo for what to do first. so, i start trying to do everything first . . . try and remember the alarm code for my office . . . switch the air pump to a/c rather than heat, and turn it on . . . turn on the fan . . . turn on the computer to start the 'techie' stuff . . . pull out the pitcher to water the plants that are dying of thirst . . . check in with the office and pick up my mail, check the prayer board, and chat with staff . . . return to my cooler office and open up the e-mail; wait for the incoming mail; close the computer because there are too many e-mails to deal with -- ok, i didn't do that . . . start reading e-mails.

now, my latest/best discovery is to find the last responder to an e-mail 'chain', and scroll down and end up reading all the responses in one setting! that way, you can start deleting all the rest....great idea, except for the folks who do not 'reply all', and then you miss some responses.

delete the adds/junk mail. i've got that one down pat!

after checking my calendar to see if i've already missed a meeting or two, and taking a walk around the campus to see where we are on the remodel, i return to the office to 'reply all' to the chain of e-mails.

funny enough, i have somehow gotten on 'incredimail', and so in the middle of something, a man, dressed like a butler, walks across my screen and says, 'you have mail, sir'. who invited him into my office? i guess, somehow, i did! now, how do i invite him off of my computer screen...the first time shocked me; the second time (i was watering) he scared me -- honestly, i thought someone had come in through my other door! what's worse is he stays on my screen until i figure a way to excuse him -- he makes funny faces, stares at the silver platter with mail on it and says 'hum' and honestly, i sense he is about ready to clear his throat and speak again, until i acknowledge him in some way. so i 'left click on his faces (seems rude, i know) to which he makes a face, turns and walks away.

so, it is nearly lunchtime, and i have to restart my computer to do a software upgrade. after lunch i have centering prayer (yea!) and then i prepare for a meeting tonight, do some worship planning, finally get to my snail mail, and by that time, i'll have a whole new list of e-mails to respond to -- and my 'butler' will have walked across my desktop several times.

how does anyone get anything done when they return from vacation? maybe god is trying to tell me something .... 'go back home! finish that book you were reading! put your feet up' .... oh, i guess some people might call that 'wishful thinking'. i know i would!!!

so, what have i learned after a week of vacation? maybe i need to plan to include an 'ease on back into work day' when i return from vacation. the aim of such a day is simply 'catch-up'. that's the memo i need to publish! do you think it will catch on?

No comments:

Post a Comment