Tuesday, September 18, 2012

my experience of having another birthday . . . .

my experience of having another birthday . . . . may not be like your experience; it may be similar, but probably not identical.  so use my experience to think about your latest birthday; let it serve as an opportunity to reminisce-- to maybe (re)experience something that will make you smile or wonder or be horrified (hopefully not!), or just simply let this be a moment of respite.

each of us has experiences; it doesn't make them right or wrong or the only way to have an experience.  isn't that the way of life as well?  no two people do the same thing in the same way, nor "should" we believe that it "should be" done or experienced in the same way.

however we experience an event, it is the way "we experience it" in that moment.  and even if we have several people participating at that moment, we might and probably will experience that moment in our own unique way.

case in point.  i turned 54 yesterday.  that day became just an average day, as it turned out that my birthday fell on my usual day off; a monday.  i celebrated, however, in different ways over the week-end; and spent much of monday hearing from well-wishers via facebook (so what a unique experience that is!)

my celebrating all began on thursday, when i got a text message that some friends i knew from graduate school, all the way in chicago-land, were visiting the area; 'would you like to meet for dinner?'  "boy howdy, would i!"  the designated place to meet was 'the dead fish' restaurant in crocket; i could hardly wait for friday!

perhaps for many of you, there might be irony in going to eat at 'the dead fish' on your birthday!  it is a great place; good enough for me to be willing to drive three hours in bay area traffic on a friday night to get there...the story on their menu tells of a grandchild growing up asking his grandmother the endless 'what's for dinner' question.  she responds to this often asked question, 'oh, just some dead fish'; this phrase stuck, and became a family run business!

we finally all made it to the restaurant, 3 carloads of people coming from different locations; and, of course, it wasn't really about a birthday celebration, but rather bonding again after so many years -- we hadn't seen each other for over 20 years!

truth be told, 'the guys were in graduate school (law and divinity--not the candy!) and the gals worked'.  and the oddity of the preacher and the attorney getting along together -- i'd marry 'em, he'd divorce 'em, i'd bury 'em, he'd probate 'em -- actually, a perfect match.  so we gathered at this beautiful location overlooking the carcinus bridge, spending the evening together as if we did this every friday night after work.  some friendships are just like that . . . .  this picture shows the ceiling of the dead fish -- i know, who would take a picture of a ceiling?!  but, just go with it!



the next day was spent at an extended family birthday celebration; very relaxed and unusual again, because i hardly ever spend time socializing on a saturday, especially outside merced.  there's work to be done, after all!  but i returned to merced, refreshed and renewed -- inspired, really.  that ought to be worth turning 54 to learn about, don't you think...it took me long enough to figure this out!

but really, the best treat of all happened on thursday morning.  as we age, periodically we get notices in the mail; social security, aarp, insurance companies . . . . and yes, even dmv!  after two 'good drivers renewal cycles', dmv said i had to come in for this renewal, to check my vision and update my information with a new picture.  ah, the dreaded drivers licence renewal.

i had made an appointment via the internet, which took no time at all, and was actually very simple, once i figured out i had to have a dmv account!  so i go with document and checkbook in hand, and arrive at my local dmv office 15 minutes early.  and then i experienced the strangest thing!  it was as if the dmv went to the same training on hospitality that i went to!  (i began to hear 'wonder of wonders, miracles of miracles' from fiddler on the roof dancing through my head!). 

i was greeted by a friendly man who took my paperwork and then congratulated me on achieving my birthday renewal, and gave me my number, indicating the location to stand and wait for my number to be called.  less than five minutes later (no kidding!) my number was called, and a woman greeted me, asking for my materials; she chatted me up about coming in, having achieved another birthday (by this time i was looking for the hidden camera, with a clown who would have balloons, a cake and throw confetti!).  once completed, i was directed to another line where i would stand to await 'the dreaded picture taking'.  again, within five minutes, i was greeted by another woman who actually said "look directly into the camera and smile" -- really???  i get to smile???  and then she said, "have a nice day", and i was through!  but, and i know you'll find this next piece UNBELIEVABLE, but as god is my witness (!) it is true!!  the man who greeted me when i first arrived, greeted me by my name as i was leaving, wishing me once again a 'happy birthday'. 

i'd turn 54 all over again just to experience my 15 minutes of fame at the dmv!  now, i have to say, i haven't seen the picture on my licence yet, but, how bad could it be?  i got to smile!  and then i got to eat a dead fish with some long-lost friends!  isn't this worth turning 54 all over again?

anyone else care to share their latest birthday experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment