Tuesday, February 1, 2011

the hands of time....stopped!

my 31-day clock stopped two days early, and it had only been wound on january 2nd. all that to say, that the hands of time stopped, and i didn't have any warning.

isn't that like like itself. reminds me of the parable about the leaving our house unattended....if we'd known when the thief was going to be there, we would have been prepared.

funny, though, how we are prepared for the "normal, day to day things"; and yet, even those things go hay-wire! my 31-day clock hangs crooked on the wall, because it won't run correctly if it hangs like clocks are suppose to hang. and, it usually starts to slow down a few days before it actually stops....but this time, it was humming right along (do clocks hum, i wonder?) and just stopped. never-the-less, it was a surprise.

so now i am a little off; (no comments, please, and STOP LAUGHING!!!) i am hopeful that since february is a shorter month, my clock will work itself out. if not, i might have to have it fixed -- and honestly, i don't have time for that (get it? i don't have time to get my clock fixed?) ok, ok, it has been a long january!!!

perhaps my actual meaning is that fixing my clock isn't my highest priority. when the hands stop, i have to wait for the time to be right for it to run again -- or i have to move the hands around, waiting for the gongs to go off at each hour and 1/2 hour -- or else my times will be out of sic with my gongs. as it is, i have to remember during the time changes that my clock is off -- one way or another -- for nearly a month until i re-wind! i don't mind the clock stopping, and having to wait, actually. it is just that the house gets so silent. it is as if the rhythm of life has stopped.

and yet, isn't that a reminder to us in this life. stop; wait; look; pay attention; wind when needed; move forward or backward as needed; make sure we're in sic! when we are out of sorts, anything can happen. but that might be a message too! when we are out of sorts, take time to find out what that is all about!

but in the mean time, my dining room clock is just fine. someday i'll tell you about my cuckoo clock; has to have it's chains pulled on a daily basis...and it never cuckoos at the same time that my dining room clock gongs....well, i'll leave that life issue for another day. time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment